[wisb] Re: RFI: Thrush.... possible Swainson's?

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gowildwithbirds@xxxxxxxxx>, "birding network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 12:19:01 -0500

This is definitely a Hermit Thrush, Marie.  The last two shots show the
distinctive rufous-colored tail (which contrasts with the brown back).  Both
Swainson's and Hermit Thrushes have eye-rings, but Swainson's will have a
brown tail that is similar to the back color.  The timing is also better for
Hermit, being early migrants -- and Swainson's arrive later in the spring --
typically around May 1 or so.

Tom Schultz
Green Lake Co.