[wisb] Re: RFI: Red Blue jay?

  • From: Madison Audubon Society <masoffice@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: stevef09@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 14:04:51 -0500

Steve and all,
This is the time of year we always get accounts and photos of birds
(almost always cardinals) with missing head feathers (mostly due to
feather mites; they can preen all but their head feathers). Just this
morning, I got a fuzzy photo of an orange male cardinal (likely
leucistic) that looked to be missing the feathers around its eyes and on
its nape. Since the skin is black on cardinals and missing head feathers
means a missing crest, this leads to much confusion. It could also
account for the "black neck band" in the bird you describe.

Karen

Karen Etter Hale, Executive Secretary
Madison Audubon Society
222 S Hamilton St, Suite 1