[wisb] Prothonotary W., Ozaukee Cty, Mequon

  • From: Anton Usowski <antonusowski@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Birders <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 10:22:24 -0700 (PDT)

At about 7:00 AM today I paddled my kayak out from my neighborhood onto the
large shallow bay which opens into the Milwaukee River in Mequon, when I heard
a loud bird song coming from the other side. I approached and spotted the a
male Prothonotary Warbler singing away, perched on the branch of a dead tree
out in the open. He was very accommodating, allowing me to sit and watch as
long as I wished, from 20 yds away.
If he stays in the area, it may be possible to see or hear him from land at the
western end of the trail along the river in Mequon's River Forest Nature
Preserve. From the end of that little peninsula, look across the narrow inlet
toward the SE onto private property. This spot is right next to the abandoned
2006 eagle's nest. The only other time that I have seen a Prothonotary, several
years ago, was at this exact same spot. Bring plenty of bug spray.
Anton Usowski
Ozaukee County