[wisb] Proposed Bill Threatens Wisconsin Wetland Bird Habitat

  • From: "R. Tod Highsmith" <todhighsmith@xxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 20:02:46 -0600

Please forgive the intrusion of politics into this listserv, but a bill (LRB
2803/1) introduced into the Wisconsin legislature this past week threatens to
severely roll back protections for Wisconsin's wetland resources, including
habitat for our many rare and threatened wetland birds.

Wisconsin currently has among the strongest wetland protection laws in the
country, but as written this bill would gut those protections and potentially
make any wetland -- no matter if it is a pristine bog or rare fen or important
waterfowl habitat -- fair game for developers.

Folks who know me know that I'm not prone to hyperbole -- this bill is really
that bad!

Please email me or the Wisconsin Wetlands Association (policy AT
wisconsinwetlands.org, 608-250-9971) if you would like more information about
the bill and how to help fight it.

Thanks for listening.

Tod Highsmith