[wisb] Problems with tree tubes

  • From: M Murphy <egeocomp123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 22:31:18 -0400

I was told that netting must be placed around the tops of tree tubes
because it is the law in Wisconsin when I purchased tree tubes. Several
types of netting that come with the tubes are made of such a poor quality
that once exposed to the elements, they disintegrate within a year. I have
over 1000 tubes on my property and check to make sure that they are present
throughout the year. The tubes were renetted after their first year in
place with a higher quality netting made in the states. The blue netting
that came with the more expensive vented tubes was of very poor quality.
Often, I have found tufted titmice nesting in the larger diameter tubes
when the netting has fallen off. They are able to fly out of these tubes. I
also would cut a hole down lower on the tube so that the fledglings could
fly out easily, but risk the danger of predators, such as mice, snakes, or
ants.  Last year some chickadees nested in a tree tube with a nest wedged
against a small tree growing out of the tube. The young were preyed upon,
probably by a snake. I was able to save one hatchling and relocate it under
the parents watchful eyes.

Tree tubes can cause a lot of problems, not only with birds using them, but
they also create their own microclimate. It's the price we pay for
reforestation in areas where there is heavy deer, mice, and rabbit browse.
A  sapling may cost a dollar, then a good tube etc. costs about $5.00. Then
you are lucky if the tree survives because as soon as it surpasses the
tube, the deer eat the top and the rabbits and mice chew at the bottom.
Finally, they need to be checked on a regular basis to make sure that they
haven't fallen off. Most people put them up and never check them again
until they see the sapling grow above the tube.

Martin Murphy
Ferryville Wisconsin
W. Crawford County
Mississippi River Bluffs