[wisb] Re: Prairie du Sac Eagles

  • From: Sharon Reilly <reillyhi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WISC Rare bird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 00:20:50 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

 body{font-family: Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt;ba=
ckground-color: #ffffff;color: black;}
I'll be in PDS area again tomorrow and will check the VFW park and = Dam
again.

Last week I went to both, saw at least 25 eagles in the = trees, on the ice
and flying right over the tree line at the dam. Many grea= t views. Sorry
fornot posting my observations sooner.

I suspect wi= th the recent cold temps that there will be even more Eagles
there now.
FYI 5 Eagles have been released in the area since Jan 1. One adult and= 1 IM
were released on New Year's Day. The IM I suspect is hanging around b= ut
hasbeen seen on the ground or on the ice in the river a lot too. Not 10= 0%
sure if it is the same bird. When this bird was released it flew off but=
never got much height. Barely made it across the river, and landed on the =
opposite shore. Also one morning about 2 weeks ago I was checking out VFW P=
ark and there was a group of about 6 people walking along the edge of the d=
rive, looking down. Finally noticed what they were looking at - an IM Bald =
Eagle 20 yards away on the ground. The IM flew off, but it only went down t=
o the river. Not a very strong flyer. I'll be seeing someone from DNR tomor=
row and will check the area first to see if the bird is still grounded.
Three additional birds were released during the Eagle Watching Days (2= AD
and another IM). Ever since there has been excellent viewing of eagles = in
the area. Most of the increase in numbers is more likely due to the arri=
valof WINTER weather.

Will let you know what's up.

You can contact me if you would like more details.

Happy Birding,

Sharon (Sauk County, Baraboo)

http:/= /www.flickr.com/photos/sharonreilly/6753395685/[1]

http:/= /www.flickr.com/photos/sharonreilly/6753394399/[2]

http:/= /www.flickr.com/photos/sharonreilly/6753393011/[3]

http:/= /www.flickr.com/photos/sharonreilly/6753443281/[4]

-----Original Me= ssage-----
>From: "Phillip L. Billings"
&= gt;Sent: Jan 23, 2012 12:50 PM
>To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Sub= ject: [wisb] Prairie du Sac Eagles
>
>Has anyone visited the VF= W park or the dam recently? Are they enough
Eagles to watch?
>Thanks>
>Phil Billings
>Oregon, Wi
>Dane County
>##= ##################
>You received this email because you are subscribe= d to the Wisconsin
Birding Network (Wisbirdn).
//www.freelists.org/list/wi= sbirdn
>To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use the Wisbirdn web interfa= ce at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn
>Visit Wisbirdn ARCHIVE= S at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn

Sharon Reilly 223 7th St.=20 Baraboo, WI 53913 608-963-0742
reillyhi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

--- Links ---
   1 3D"http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharonreilly/6753395685/";
   2 3D"http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharonreilly/6753394399/";