[wisb] Re: Possible Barrow's Goldeneye, Lake Mendota, Dane

  • From: Dale Bonk <debunkshy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Peter Fissel <peter.fissel@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 20:59:50 -0600

Thanks for all the pointers! I was hoping for the rarity, of course, but
just couldn't be sure without some advice. Gotta keep on learning.
On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 8:52 PM, Peter Fissel <peter.fissel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm afraid it's just a first-winter male Common GE, Dale. They can have
an orange-ish bill, and an ill-defined spot. A Barrow's would have a much
more elongated, comma-shaped spot. It would also be noticeably smaller
than the Commons. As Tom points out, the bill would also be much stubbier
and the forehead steeper. Head shape is often tricky if the duck has been
diving.

On the other hand, there WAS a Barrow's off Picnic Point a few winters
back that stayed just long enough for the Madison CBC (and University Bay
froze over completely that night, as I recall...)

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.