[wisb] Re: Possible Arctic Tern Sighting Door Co.

  • From: Richter Museum <richter@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "suechick@xxxxxxxxxxx" <suechick@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 20:39:50 -0500

Although anything is possible, I suspect both of the "possible" Arctic tern
observations are most likely Common terns. At this time of year they can appear
darker as they are in molt and tail streamers shorter. Neither observation
reflected anything to suggest otherwise.  Commons nest on the bay and we also
have nonbreeders in various plumages.

Tom Erdman, Green Bay