[wisb] Picnic Point (UW Campus) this a.m.

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:07:30 -0500

A group of birders walked around Picnic Point on the UW Campus for a
couple of hours this morning.  While we had hoped to see more variety
due to fog fallout, there were plenty of birds.  The trend of lots of
Blue Jays continues, and we had five species of woodpeckers, including
several YB Sapsuckers.  Not too many warblers, with Magnolia and
Black-throated Green probably the most notable.  Two or three Brown
Thrashers were nice, and a Chimney Swift or two flew over. There were
several RB Grosbeaks, also. After Jesse Ellis and his girlfriend Anya
left, the rest of us walked along the edge of the Biocore Prairie and
found a few pockets of birds, with one clump of shrubby trees just alive
with BC Chickadees, a House Wren and a Redstart or two.  The next clump
had a couple of Philadelphia Vireos and at least two Indigo Buntings.
On the way back to the parking lot, we saw an Ovenbird and a
Gray-cheeked Thrush.  Peter Gorman and I tried to reconstruct a list
afterward and we were pushing 40 species.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.