[wisb] Permission granted to see the Western Tanager

  • From: Dan Belter <bwhawk1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 03:33:52 +0000 (UTC)

Birders,

I got the telephone a little while ago with the home owners who have the adult
male, non-breeding plumaged Western Tanager coming to their Merrill area home
in Lincoln County. They have given their permission for birders to come and
view this bird, even during the week when they are at work. If you try for this
bird, please make sure you sign your name and city where you are from, in the
guest notepad they will have placed on the steps going up to their deck.

The Western Tanager is coming to the backyard bird feeders of Barb and Pete
McConnell, N2519 Riverside Drive, Merrill, WI. To get here, take Hwy 107 west
out of the city of Merrill. Continue on Hwy 107, going past the entrance road
to Council Grounds State Park (hwy 107 make a sharp right turn to the north)
and go another 2 to 2 1/2 miles on Hwy 107 to Riverside Drive. Turn left onto
Riverside Drive (it's a dead end road that runs maybe 2 city blocks) and go to
the third driveway on the right and your here. Please park on the side of the
road, but don't block any other driveways. Access the backyard on the north
side of the house. When I was there, I stayed under the red pines that run
along the north side of the property line. The feeders are all hanging from the
deck, and the owners also spread seed along the deck railings. When I first saw
the tanager, it was in the pine trees on the south side of the property and
would often fly back into here after it fed from the feeder
 s.

Please be respectful if any neighbors stop and ask as to what is going on, and
remember to sign the guest notepad or notebook. This is a nice yard for feeding
birds. It's right on the Wisconsin River, and other birds I had here today
were; Common Redpolls, Pine Siskins, a White-crowned Sparrow, and several
Red-breasted Nuthatches among the other common feeder birds.

Dan Belter
Village of Weston
Marathon Co, WI