[wisb] PORTAGE COUNTY EASTERN SCREECH-OWL

  • From: Rob Pendergast <rob121092@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 00:47:54 -0500

Being not able to sleep I decided to go to the Little Plover River Park and
listen for owls. When I first got there one Great Horned Owl was calling in
the distance. It called almost the entire duration I was there. Second, a
Chipping Sparrow trilled twice and stopped with that. Finally, after about
15 minutes I heard a whinning not far away and I looked over at the
playgorund equipment and saw a small owl flying away. It was an Eastern
Screech Owl, they are harder to come by in Portage County from what I've
heard and experienced.
Happy Birding,

Rob Pendergast, Plover, Portage County