[wisb] PARASITIC JAEGER PORTAGE COUNTY AND A FEW OTHERS

  • From: Rob Pendergast <rob121092@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 12:18:54 -0500

I checked Lake Dubay this morning in hopes the strong, overnight winds had
pushed some migrants in. Winds were still very strong when I arrived at the
dike around 7 AM (I estimate 60-70 mph coming off the lake). I sat on the
dike for about 10 minutes with nothing happening on the over the water. I
turned to my right to look at the dam and I noticed a large, tern-like bird
flying towards the dam in a direct fashion. The bird was dark on top
(underwings were mostly dark as well) and had white underparts. It had a
pointed tail (at center), tapered wings, dark chest band, and white on the
primaries on both the underwing and upperwing. It was an adult Parasitic
Jaeger just like the ones I had seen at Jaegerfest a few weeks ago! I
watched the bird fly north to south for about 45 seconds until it was no
longer visable.
I stayed at Dubay for another 15 minutes other species of note seen were
Forster's Tern, Lesser Scaup, Northern Shoveler and I'm fairly certain I saw
Black Scoters in the distance but, they were too far away for me to be 100%
sure. I then headed to S. Rice Lake in the Mead where I met Dan Belter who
was already scanning the area. There wasn't too much excitement but, there
were 4 or 5 Harriers present, a Northern Pintail flew by in the distance and
there were Ruddy Ducks present as well.

We hit a few more places without much luck until we went to the headquarters
to look for sparrows. We checked some brushy area  between the HQ building
and one of the garages. Sorting out all the White-crowned Sparrows, I
noticed juvenile Harris's Sparrow a little higher up than the White-crowns.
It stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the WC's. It had a little black
on it's face/throat along with a pink bill and white belly. Song Sparrow,
Lincoln's Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, and Junco
were the other Sparrows present.

I headed down to the Buena Vista Grassland after the visit to the via
I-39, I noticed that there was a flock of Canada Geese on the pond to the
west of the exit that leads to Cty W. I pulled over to the side of the road
and scanned the flock and noticed a 2 birds that had very small bills, I am
90% sure they were Cackling Geese but, because I am not certain I will let
them go undocumented. From there I made my way to check Prairie Chicken Rd
in search of another Harris's Sparrow. I drove about 3/4 the road then
parked and walked the rest of it. I was seeing very little let alone hearing
with the wind. I finally came to a small opening with a few shrubs and I
noticed another juvenile Harris's Sparrow! I watched it for a few moments as
it was deciding what to make of me, then it darted back into the brush.

Best Birding,

Rob Pendergast, Plover, Portage County