[wisb] PACIFIC LOON - Bayfield County

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 15:23:28 -0600

After sifting through hundreds of loons in the past few weeks, I finally found
a PACIFIC LOON off the old coaldock (near the marina) in Washburn this
afternoon.  It was fairly distant and constantly diving but great light for ID.
 We have found this species annually on Chequamegon Bay since 2006.  Also
present here were 3 RED-NECKED GREBES, 40 BONAPARTE'S GULLS, and a flock of
RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS. My family and I briefly covered the south shore of
Lake Superior in northern Bayfield County in hopes of a southwestern vagrant
but didn't turn up anything of note at Cornucopia, Bark Point or Herbster.
Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady