[wisb] Re: Out with the chickadees, in with the house wren

  • From: "Kent" <kentsue@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Evan Barrientos" <ebarrientos@xxxxxxxxx>, <net.notes@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Wisbirdn'" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 07:26:42 -0600

Hi, Evan:

I can not speak for any cavity nester except the Eastern Blue-
bird.  Careful temperature records have been kept through the
nesting season by Leif Marking of the Bluebird Restoration
Association of WI.

He has found that west-facing nest boxes are a few degrees F
colder than those facing to the east.  Cornell Laboratory of
Ornithology has found that the most productive bluebird boxes
(out of tens of thousands of reports), are those facing (in order
of top to least production) ne, e & se, where the early-morning
sun is more direct.

These data support the concept of warmth during spring being
a critical element in the successful first nesting of the bluebird.
On May 11-12, 2006, we lost 286 chicks and eggs on our
bluebird trail, 26% of the loss for the entire season.  This
spring, we lost nearly 1,000 eggs and chicks in one week,
and that will probably be 40% of our entire loss for the
season.

These data point out that "cold or cold + rain" are extremely
critical and limiting for first nests of bluebirds.

We used to "vent" our boxes, but now recommend they
either be permanently plugged or plugged until June 1 of
each season.

and face them toward the ne, e, or se, where windchills
are minimal and thermal absorption are maximal.

Kent Hall, Coordinator
Data Collection
Bluebird Restoration Association of WI
Stevens Point