[wisb] Out of state: ABA blog report on the Hooded Crane in TN

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 12:06:33 -0600

Hey everyone,
Dan Peak and I drove down to Chattanooga, TN on Jan 1st to see the Hooded
Crane. Awesome bird to see in the US. It took us 9 hours to find it. That was
the hardest I've ever worked to see an ABA vagrant.
The fine people at the ABA have asked around, done some digging and come up
with some very interesting info about the bird that is nicely summarized in the
recent post on the ABA blog:
http://blog.aba.org/2012/01/hooded-crane-tennessee.html

Certainly adds a new twist and makes this a very tantalizing bird for ABA
listers.

Enjoy!

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County Interpretive Naturalist Mississippi
Explorer Cruises
http://mississippiexplorer.com/chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.nabirding.com/http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)