[wisb] Orioles and Hummers

  • From: Hilary Ford <khilaryf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Doorcobirding <doorcobirding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 10:03:54 -0700 (PDT)

Good Morning,
I have been jealous of people's reported sightings!  With the cold and rain of
the last few days I have only seen White-Crowned Sparrows and not heard much
while walking the woods here with the pooch.
However today there was a beautiful Lincoln's Sparrow being chased by the W.C.
Sps. A  couple of days ago a Northern Oriole was at the Humming Bird Feeder
but not at the jelly and orange one, and the Humming Bird came to the other
feeder today.

I heard Indigo Buntings in the woods, Wrens for many days now, and several
warblers I cannot I.D. even though I am studying them hard.  I believe the
older you get the harder it is to remember these songs, alas!

No Bluebirds nesting unfortunately though I have heard them.  In fact all the
boxes at Cottage Glen seem to have gone into a hold-pattern with several still
empty.

Sunday we walked Three Springs and sat on the newly built benches staring at
not much except a lone Solitary Sandpiper and a pair of C. Geese nesting.  I
may have heard a Nashville W. but whatever was there kept out of sight.  There
were also singing Black throated Green W.s there.

Pine Siskins are still at the feeder today.  Spring is great but it could be a
little warmer.

Hilary Ford, Ellison Bay, Door Co