[wisb] Olin-Turville this a.m. (Madison)

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 10:29:17 -0500

Four brave souls dared to enter the mosquito-infested woods of Turville
Point on the south side of Madison this morning.  One beginning birder
gave up after 20 minutes of blood loss - can't say I blame her!  (I hope
the traumatic experience didn't sour her completely on the activity...)
So co-leader Marty Evanson and one other brave stalwart soldiered on
with me.  It was definitely more birdy than Tuesday's walk had been.  We
hit a nice flock right off the bat on the west edge of the prairie
opening - lots of Am. Redstarts, Tennessees and a Nashville or two, plus
several E. Wood Pewees and a Least Flycatcher.

We hit another flock out on Turville Point itself, with several
Redstarts joined by single Golden-winged, Bay-breasted, B-T Green, and a
Yellow-rump.  There was another pretty bright yellow fellow in with
them, but we could never get a good look at it.  Also had three species
of Vireos on the walk - Red-eyed, Yellow-throated and Warbling, all
singing.  We flushed a Great-horned Owl, and later had an agitated flock
mobbing it or another one out on the edge of the oak savannah.

I believe I saw a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, but it was across a big clearing
and not a great look (small, olive, not behaving like a Goldfinch.)  We
also had a probable Veery right as we started into the woods - again,
not the best look, but the first thrush I've seen so far this fall.

Thanks to Marty for co-leading.  As we get deeper into fall, there will
likely be some informal walks at both Picnic Point and Olin-Turville.
If I know ahead of time, I'll try to post something about it on WisBird.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.