[wisb] Re: Off-topic: Warnimont dog exercise area

  • From: Betsyacorn@xxxxxxx
  • To: Betsyacorn@xxxxxxx, wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 17:48:00 EDT

Apparently my forward did not go through.  Anyway, I have copied and
pasted it below:
(Betsy Abert, So Mke)

Dear Parks Friends:

I would like to  clarify plans for a dog exercise area at Warnimont Park.

First, there  will be no clear cutting.  Our Chief of Planning and
Development, Jim  Keegan, has approved the removal of invasive plants,
including
honeysuckle and  buckthorn.  He actually hopes to add more trees to the area.

In  2009, I was contacted by South Shore constituents who expressed
interest in a  dog park in the southern area of Warnimont Park, by the old
tennis
courts south  of the Kelly Senior Center and west of the Oak Leaf Trail and
the lake  bluff.  The reinvigorated Sheridan Park Friends Coordinating
Committee  unanimously supported this idea, believing that it would attract
many
residents  to Warnimont Park.

I visited the Kelly Senior Center and spoke with  participants.  They
responded positively to the proposal, some mentioning  they would like to bring
their own dogs and others commenting that they would  enjoy watching the
dogs.  Kelly Senior Center Director Ann Kopf and the  Department on Aging were
consulted as well.

Cudahy Police Chief Thomas  Poellot expressed support for bringing activity
into this secluded area that is  difficult to patrol.  Plans were reviewed
by the former and current mayors  of Cudahy.

Southeastern Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission reviewed  and found
that this project would not interfere with any wetland.

The  Milwaukee County Board approved the proposal in September 2009.

I wrote  about the construction of the dog exercise area in my October 2009
E-Update.

There is also no clear cutting happening at Grant Park.  In a  completely
separate issue, a crew has trimmed trees so that Parks can  reconstruct
tennis courts at Grant.  I have received many contacts  requesting this
improvement.  Our tennis courts were once spectacular but  had really
deteriorated.
I am enthusiastic that the restored tennis courts  this summer will attract
more residents into Grant!

Finally, I did visit  this location again on Tuesday and it does appear the
parks is clearing a fence  line and not doing a "clear cut".  I could not
be there on Monday morning  with some of you since I am a member of the
Milwaukee County Federal Library  system board and had a meeting that morning.
Part of my county chores, but  I do care and will follow this.

Please forward this information to your  members and email lists to clear
up the confusion on these issues.  Thanks  for making me aware of your
concerns.  I look forward to your questions.

Thanks,
Pat

Pat Jursik
Representing the 8th District  (St. Francis, South Milwaukee, Cudahy, and 2
wards in Oak Creek)
414-278-4231
patricia.jursik@xxxxxxxxxxxx