[wisb] OYBC conference and a question/idea (No Sightings)

  • From: <rachael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 14:43:23 -0700

Hello everybody!
Last week I had the amazing opportunity to attend the 5th annual Ohio
Young Birders Club Conference, in Columbus Ohio. It was SO COOL!!! (Of
course, it was the first bird conference I've been to at all, so I
suppose I should have expected as much :) ) The reason I was there, was
to speak about my experience with the YBY contest, but I hope I'll be
able to attend again in the future, it was inspiring! The other
presenters were great, covering everything from arctic breeding
sandpipers to endangered water snakes.  The overall spirit of
conservation was amazing, we even had one guy auction off the pair of
binoculars that he won in the raffle, the proceeds going toward
conservation!

Of course, part of the awesomeness of the trip was the fact that Kim and
Ken Kaufman are very much a part of pulling this whole thing together. I
got to spend plenty of time during and after the conference with these
and other top-notch birders and conservationists. :)

All in all, it was a truly inspiring event, and as Kim Kaufman put it,
none of it could have happened without the young birders. They are the
ones that started the Young Birders Club, and they are the ones who came
up with the idea for the conference.

So now I'm wondering, why don't we have a young birders club here? There
certainly seem to be enough active birders in the state! I would really
love to get one going in Wisconsin, but I need some support, and I need
some kids! If you can offer either, (or you think I'm crazy!) please
contact me!

Proud to be a WI birder,

~Rachael Butek
Colfax, Dunn Cty