[wisb] Northern Flicker, Vernon Marsh Wauk. Co. 1st flights of 2 young and adult feeding young images

  • From: Jim Edlhuber <jimedlhuber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 19:44:12 -0500

Greetings,

On May 5th when walking around a wooded area at Vernon Marsh I spotted a
Northern Flicker next to a nest cavity in a large tree. I thought I would
check it out on a future date. Last Thursday I returned and watched the
adult feed young in the nest cavity. Feeding times were 20-30 minutes apart
and these birds I thought were just about ready to leave the nest. I thought
there were 2 birds, I only seen to heads at a time looking out the nest
cavity, turned out there were a total of at least 4 birds.  After 5 hours on
the 1st day, I left for the day. I thought it was so exciting to watch the
young be feed by the adult, the best was yet to come. Friday morning I
returned for another round only to witness 2 of the 4 birds, in their
1st flights
from their nest. I could see the adult was feeding just a little and would
cling to the tree and wanted the 1st one out. The first bird flew out onto a
tree near me, about 50 feet from the nest. A dead tree, it worked its way up
about 20 feet and sat on the top. The adult came and stayed by it for a few
minutes after some time had passed, looked like it was seeing how things
were going with the 1st one out. A little while later the 2nd one was
thinking about flying out but it took many calls from the adult about 100
feet away to finally get the 2nd one out. The adult also actually hung on
the tree near the cavity before hand and did not bring food like feeding is
officially over and you are out of here! Out it came about 75 feet to a near
by tree. I captured images of both 1st and 2nd birds 1st flights, also
feeding the young both days. It was quite the show!

Link to images of both days if you care to view:

*
https://picasaweb.google.com/109038919513758014473/NorthernFlickerVernonMarshWaukCo1stFlightsOf2YoungPlusFeedingImages
*

Good birding!