[wisb] North Woods 1/9/12

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 18:07:53 -0600

I birded the north woods today.  Once the clouds moved out it was a
beautiful day, although the wind was rather strong.  A word of
caution for any one going up this week:  I headed straight to Alvin
and then back down Hwy 55 to the junction with FR 2182.  I was
surprised to find it had not been plowed.  A few vehicles had
ventured through, so I did likewise.  It was an interesting drive
until the Pine River bridge.  From here west the forest roads were
all plowed.
Highlights for the day include:  6 Snow Buntings and a Northern
Shrike on the north side of Mole Lake (Hwy 55);  Argonne (Hwy 55) had
one feeder that yielded 35+ Common Redpolls, 1 Hoary Redpoll, 1
Purple Finch, 2 Goldfinches, 1 Red-br. Nuthatch plus chickadees and
Mourning Doves.  Along 55, north of the 2182 junction were 2 flocks
of Pine Grosbeaks feeding along the shoulder (10 and 4);  Alvin had
just 15 Evening Grosbeaks at the feeders at the end of 4th St. (the
feeders on the north side of Alvin had only a few chickadees) (I was
there around 10:00);  a N. Goshawk was at the Pine River bridge;  a
Gray Jay was at the junction of Giant Pine and Pine River Rds;
Divide Rd yielded several BC and 1 Boreal Chickadees plus a few
redpolls and WW Crossbills plus also a Ruffed Grouse;  another Ruffed
Grouse was along 2182 west of Divide Rd.

The rest of the forest roads, plus Three Lakes and Rhinelander were
exceptionally quiet.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI