[wisb] Nocturnal Pecking Sound

  • From: "cranebill tds.net" <cranebill@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 12:16:21 -0500

For the last month or so we have been hearing a pecking sound on the house,
usually starts after midnight (not always).  Every 5 - 15 minutes.
tap-tap-tap-tap,    tap-tap.  Very similar to what a blue jay sounds like
when it takes a seed and goes to a tree limb to work on it.  Mostly on north
end of house (of course that's where the bedroom is), but my wife's a night
owl and hasn't heard it elsewhere.  Pecking sounds on the roof, possibly on
eves, side of house (lower story brick, upper cedar), pecking on both brick
and wood.  Semi-rural, 3 acre lot type area, lots of woods in area.  Have
lived here 12 years.  First time for this.  Have been on roof and inspected
all surfaces.  See no signs of pecking.  See no residuals from nuts or
seeds.  Any thoughts out there?
Gene, Rochester, Wisconsin