[wisb] Newbie Birder Sightings and Reference Book

  • From: DAVID SACHS <dsachs1962@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 12:25:11 -0800 (PST)

Hello Everyone,

I am quite new to this list and am learning a great deal reading the posts.
This last weekend I had many birds at my feeders - Purple Finches, Gold
Finches, White and Red Breasted Nuthatches, Juncos, Red Bellied Woodpeckers,
Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers, Cardinals, and Turkeys.  On Saturday I saw a Bald
Eagle at both Thousand Islands in Kaukauna and Jefferson Park in Menasha along
with many mallards and Canada Geese.  I go for a walk every morning and on
Saturday saw a pileated woodpecker (my first in Outagamie County) and a small
flock of snow buntings.  I have also entered my sightings from the last few
years (a small modest list) into ebird and I really like the features of that
site!

I have a quick question that if someone could answer for me would be very
helpful.  I have the standard field guides that I use for my birding
activities.  I would like to get a coffee table book of birds for my home.  Is
there a "standard" that is like an encyclopedia of birds of the world? I have a
15 year old boy who is my birding partner. I could see a book like this getting
a great deal of use in our home.  If you have a suggestion on this if you could
please back channel me at dsachs1962@xxxxxxxxxxxxx it would be greatly
appreciated.

Again - Thank You to everyone for your posts!

Dave Sachs
Seymour, WI
Outagamie County