[wisb] Nesting prothonotaries

  • From: Thomas Schaefer <schaefertrees@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Andy P <andypaulios@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 12:48:41 -0500

With a little spare time I headed west to Neosho and then to the Elmwood Road
PROW spot.  You may recall I placed 3 nest boxes here and saw a pair utilizing
one of them.  Today I checked on them again.  The task was made easier when I
noticed my chest waders in the back after a pier installation on Thursday.
Water levels are way down but it is rather mucky.   Went first to box with
previous pair.  Approached, pished, and tapped on back-out pops the female.
Removed top and was proud as punch to find 6 eggs.  She retreated and chipped
like crazy, so I quickly left.   Next box had a male investigating during last
visit.  He was there again but appears he's still a bachelor.  However, the box
had a nice layer of moss, which PROWs use.  Was it placed by him to lure in a
female?  I had never seen birds near the third box, but removing box cap found
5 young!!!  This female flew from box to the ground AT my feet doing a rather
good impression of a killdeer feigning injury.  She actually "rowed" across the
ground with her wings and tail fully outspread.  The white spots flashing were
clearly visible. In the darkness of the "swamp".

I confirmed four males in the area-three singing loudly.  Funny, the bachelor
sang too, but the song was very muted.  You'd think he'd be trying his best to
announce his presence.  Or did he not want trouble from the other three males?
Other probable nesters include brown creeper, yb cuckoo, Acadian flycatcher,
and yt vireo.

*Note...  It is unadvisable donning a pair of chest waders with the temps in
lower 80s coupled with a dew point of 70!  Be a great, albeit uncomfortable,
way to shed some pounds though.

Tom Schaefer
Hartford
Washington County