[wisb] Necedah National Wildlife Refuge [Juneau County]

  • From: "Sharon Swiggum" <sgswiggum@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Birding List Wisconsin" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 23:43:06 -0500

The weather was perfect for birding and enjoying wildlife at Necedah
National Wildlife Refuge this evening.

Section E-- Sprague Pool
Eastern Kingbird--Many

Driving from Section E to Section C
Scarlet Tanager
fawn with its mother

Section C-- Boghaunter Trail
Bobolinks
Whooping Cranes-4
Eastern Bluebirds
Porcupine

South of Section C before Shortcut Road
Redheaded Woodpecker

Section B- Rynearson Wetlands Observation Tower and Trail
Whooping Crane-1
Swan-flyover

This link is a map which shows the different sections on the refuge map.
http://www.fws.gov/midwest/necedah/docs/NCDHtSpt.pdf

Watch for porcupines while birding! Each time that I see a porcupine climb a
tree at Necedah National Wildlife Refuge, it reminds me of a cuddly koala
bear.

Before the porcupine was visible this evening, I could hear it in the
grasses near me. It climbed the tree next to the wetland bridge on the
Boghaunter Trail that I needed to cross to return to my car. As I crossed
the bridge, the porcupine was extremely close and its eyes followed me. When
it turned its back end towards me, I ran to establish some distance between
the porcupine and me. I have no idea how far a porcupine can shoot its
quills. Some people still claim that it can shoot quills from a distance.
Others state that the porcupine slaps it victim with its tail. This
encounter was a once in a lifetime experience. Super outing!

Keep Looking Up!
Sharon Swiggum  :)

Richland Center in Richland County