[wisb] Muscoda (Iowa County) Spotted Towhee this morning

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 18:20:29 -0500

Hey everyone,
I had time to make the short run down to Dick Ouren's house this morning, so I
decided to give chase. I arrived around 10:45 and had only a short time to wait
before the bird flew in.
It first landed in the mock Orange bush right near the porch, but then flew
down by a downed log farther away. It also spent some time up closer to the
house by a broken tree with another log laying at its foot.
Here are the best photos I managed to get of it:
This is from when it first flew in:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto/6241639625/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto/6241636483/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto/6242151296/in/photostream
These are from when it landed on the log:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto/6242154720/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto/6242153672/in/photostream

I should note that the color shade of the hood looked different depending on
the lighting. It will also look different depending on the camera exposure.  I
did no editing to any of the photos beyond basic corrections.  We were able to
directly compare the bird with both male and female Eastern Towhees in the same
lighting and our best guess is that this is a young male.
It was a very nice bird, gave excellent views and came in about every 15-20
mins or so starting around 11am and was still present when I left around 2pm.

Many thanks to Dick for finding this bird, notifying the birding community and
allowing visitors!
Good luck to anyone else who chooses to give chase!

--Chris
P.S. It was also nice to see Daryl Tessen this morning as well. :)

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County Interpretive Naturalist Mississippi
Explorer Cruises
http://mississippiexplorer.com/chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.nabirding.com/http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)