[wisb] Mourning Warbler - Rocky Run, Columbia Co.

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 20:49:03 -0500

After the butterfly field trip at Cherokee Marsh on the north side of Madison
this morning, I headed up to Rocky Run Oak Savannah SNA on the advice of Karl
Legler to continue looking for butterflies.  Of course, I also kept track of
birds at both locations.  Nothing out of the ordinary, although a hen Turkey
flushing out of some tall grass at Rocky Run nearly gave me a heart attack.  As
I made my way back to the parking lot on Hwy 22, I heard a bird singing from
across an open field that made me stop and listen.  It sounded like a Mourning
Warbler, and I suddenly remembered Dorothy Legler telling me they usually heard
one at this location when doing the butterfly count the last week of June.  I
even confirmed it with my iPod - it was a dead ringer for the Mourning on the
Nat'l Geog birding app.  I just checked the BBA, and I see they were confirmed
breeding in Columbia County, probably in this atlas block.

This is a few miles south of Wyocena in Columbia County.  There is a parking
lot on Hwy 22 immediately north of the Wyocena School Forest.  The trail for
the State Natural Area goes west along the edge of the woods, then along an
open field behind (west of) the woods.  The Mourning was singing from across
this field, but from the woods to the southwest.   Other birds were lots of
Field Sparrows, Eastern Towhees and Cedar Waxwings (I seem to be seeing the
latter nearly everywhere recently, after having to wait until April or early
May to see my first this year.)  And if you like Great Spangled Fritillaries,
this is the place for 'em.  I marked down 15, and I was trying to be
conservative so I didn't double-count.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.