[wisb] Monona Bay & Yahara River this afternoon

  • From: D Echelbarger <dendarii@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 19:46:34 -0500

I took my new kayak out on the Yahara this afternoon. I launched at Rutabaga, paddled up to Monona Bay and around it to the lake proper, then back past Rutabaga to explore the marshes below the Beltline a bit.

I saw lots of coots, mallards, Canadas and red-winged blackbirds, as expected.

There was a lone male Bufflehead in Monona Bay amid a small flock of coots. They were off Cross Trees Park when I saw them, but left when I came back.

I saw what may have been white-fronted geese on the Yahara, or they may have just been graylags; I couldn't be certain. They were in the channel just downstream from Cross Trees Park, at the farther end where it rejoins the main river.

I'm looking forward to doing more kayak-based birding this summer.

Diane Echelbarger
Stoughton, Dane County

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.