[wisb] Re: Mississippi River Pools (and some MN birding)

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Alex Stark <thearctictern@xxxxxxxxx>, "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 18:02:36 -0600

Hey everyone,

To add to Alex's post:
I stopped up at Brownsville last week and my conservative estimate of the
number of swans was around 3-5000.  I'm sure that more have come in with the
last cold front.
I should also mention: Everyone always tells me about how they went up to Alma
to see the Tundra Swans.  Everyone knows about Alma because that used to be the
single best place on the entire river to see migrating Tundra Swans. I don't
know if it's still running, but they used to hold a festival every year for
this.
In recent years, reports I've heard from up there have been disappointing at
best. My understanding is that some dredging was done in the area and that the
habitat is no longer ideal for Tundra Swans.
At the same time that this happened, they started building the islands in the
river in front of the overlook at Brownsville, MN. This project is now nearing
completion and provides superb habitat for migrating waterfowl. I would have no
hesitation in stating that the Brownsville overlook (which has a brand new
platform which was completed only a few years ago) is THE single best place to
see migrating Tundra Swans, not only on the Mississippi River, but perhaps even
in the entire country.
So if you have a day free this fall, I'd highly recommend making a stop at the
Brownsville overlook. You won't be disappointed. It's easy to find. It's right
on the highway, just south of the town of Brownsville, MN.

If you don't want to look for it yourself, come along on my audubon field trip
on Saturday. It will be our last stop of the day. :)

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County Interpretive Naturalist Mississippi
Explorer Cruises
http://mississippiexplorer.com/chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.nabirding.com/http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)