[wisb] Milwaukee Lakefront, 11/22 - Photo essay

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 17:57:08 -0800 (PST)

Walked the southern half of my BIGBY route on Tuesday, 11/22/11. Raw weather,
temps in the low-to-mid 40s, wind chills in the upper 30s.

A few highlights:

* The ultimate in hardy sailors, out on the water on a day with a windchill in
the 30s:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6402519957/in/photostream

* A brief video of waves crashing over the 10-foot-high Milwaukee Harbor
breakwater:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6386215819/in/photostream

* This American Crow scolded me loudly as I took several portaits of the bird:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6402509135/in/photostream

* Once again, a Cackling Goose mixed in with the Canada Geese in Milwaukee's
Veterans Park. I've now found Cacklers on my last six visits to the Milwaukee
Lakefront:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6402512645/in/photostream

* These gulls let get really close and only looked mildly annoyed. They must
have been feeling really lazy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6402514205/in/photostream

* I believe this is the first time I've ever seen a Scaup walking on land.
Lakeshore State Park in Milwaukee:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6402516539/in/photostream

* Probably my best shot of part of a flock of Scaups. They're usually too far
out for my pocket camera:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6402521185/in/photostream

* Halloween remnant in Milwaukee Harbor behind the Milwaukee Art Museum.
They're so heavy I didn't know they could be so buoyant:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6402524439/in/photostream

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee