[wisb] Milwaukee Lakefront, 11/17/11 - Harlequin Duck

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 15:13:34 -0800 (PST)

I was hanging out at Milwaukee's North Point and the north end of Bradford
Beach for a bit today looking for ducks on my way to grocery shopping at Whole
Foods...

Got a good look at a female Harlequin Duck diving off of North Point. As I was
getting my camera ready, a gull came after her (she must have come up with
something tasty). The gull chased her in a southerly direction. She eventually
outran the gull. The gull's pursuit also scattered a flock of 20-30
Buffleheads. The Harlequin didn't come back. The Buffleheads did. (Note: the
Harlequin is not a new BIGBY bird...saw one at the beginning of the year).

Some other highlights:

* Buffleheads a ways off shore. Mostly males (one female to the left of the
photo). I love the black/white contrasts. And notice how rough the water is on
the horizon:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6355218009/in/photostream

* The Lake Michigan water level was pretty low at North Point. Maybe due to
strong westerly winds? I don't normally see these rocks exposed when I visit
North Point:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6355221131/in/photostream

* Today's North Point duck species list:

Harlequin Duck
White-winged Scoter
Black Scoter
Gadwall
Mallard
Bufflehead

* One final photo. I was trying to photograph some ducks when my camera
suddenly focused on the bare branches in the foreground, leaving the background
blurred. I kinda like it. :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6354817615/in/photostream

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee