[wisb] Milwaukee Lakefront, 11/11/11 - Cackling Geese

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 11:18:09 -0800 (PST)

Walked the southern part of my Milwaukee walking BIGBY route on 11/11/11...

Mostly common birds, but a few highlights:

* Stopped at Discovery World for a quick lunch (a brat and a beer from
Milwaukee's Lakefront Brewery). After exiting Discovery World I decide to check
out a flock of about 100 geese on a lawn to the west of Discovery World. Funny
thing about Cackling Geese. You have to stare at a large flock of Canadas for a
few minutes before you notice the Cacklers, and then suddenly they become very
obvious and you wonder why you didn't notice them right away. Anyway, there
were five Cacklers in this flock...the most I've ever seen at once. Here's a
photo of three of them:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6337258445/in/photostream

* There's a measuring stick in the water under the Lakeshore State Park
footbridge. It's used to measure the fluctuations in Lake Michigan water
levels. I've been taking photos of it this month to see how much the water
level changes. The highest reading I saw this month was 2.3 (feet). The lowest
reading was 1.3 (feet). That means the water level has varied by one foot
during my observations. You don't think of Lake Michigan changing that much!
Here's a photo of the lowest reading:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6326759830/in/photostream

* These and other Asters are providing a late-season splash of color on the
prairie at Milwaukee's Lakeshore State Park:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6338004884/in/photostream

* Goldenrods gone to seed on the prairie at Milwaukee's Lakeshore State Park:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6337248395/in/photostream

* A sign of winter (literally):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6337242365/in/photostream

* Horned Grebe (pretty common, but I can't resist taking photos of them):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6337280767/in/photostream

* A couple of Scaups (pretty common, but I can't resist taking photos of them):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6337244009/in/photostream

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee