[wisb] Milwaukee Lakefront, 10/14 - A few photos

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 12:54:28 -0700 (PDT)

Yesterday (Friday) was pretty quiet along the Milwaukee lakefront. I birded the
southern half of my BIGBY route and found mostly the usual suspects.

* When the birding is slow, my observations slow down. That's when I look at
the more common birds in a new light. Yesterday I found myself thinking that I
probably underappreciate the beauty of male Mallards. Probably because they're
under my nose all the time. Took this random photo yesterday. The orange feet,
yellow bill, green head, and rich body colors make for a striking bird, even if
it IS "just another Mallard". :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6246634431/in/photostream

* The Canada Geese are starting to congegrate in Veterans Park in greater
numbers. There weren't as many geese this summer as last summer. I'm thinking
it's because of the dry weather. The grass in Veterans Park was really dry and
brown this summer. Ironically, the grass in Veterans Park now looks like spring
grass with the recent rains:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6247159416/in/photostream

* I kinda like this photo taken from the south end of the Veterans Park Lagoon.
I like how it juxtaposes the natural areas of the park against an urban skyline:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6247161800/in/photostream

* A gull hunts the ubiquitous grasshoppers in the Lakeshore State Park prairie.
The bird was so intent on gorging on its prey that it completely ignored humans
that were passing by. This park is still loaded with grasshoppers, and has been
for a couple of months:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6246641423/in/photostream

* And some American Crows have discovered the grasshopper buffet:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6247166440/in/photostream

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee