[wisb] Middleton and Menasha

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 19:08:19 -0600

How about that for a combination!!  I had business at Eagle Optics in
Middleton so before heading there, I birded Pheasant Branch off Park
St.  Initially it was very quiet birdwise, although a Mink near the
second bridge was enjoyable.  On the way back activity picked up near
and around the first bridge (east side).  Standard birds plus several
Tufted Titmice, a Br. Creeper, Golden-cr. Kinglet and Carolina Wren.
The Great Horned Owl was perched on the west trail.
After concluding my business at Eagle Optics, plus enjoying the 2
imm. White-crowned Sparrows coming to their feeders,  and thanks to
Mike, I decided to check the Marina Dr part of Pheasant Branch.  This
was the first time I have been here and it was very enjoyable.  It
took two tries walking the area but I eventually had great looks at
the Hermit Thrush, a brief look at the Swamp Sparrow, plus the
Kingfisher flew up from the creek to a tree on the far north side.
The number of Robins was impressive.

I then worked over to the Pheasant Branch Rd and parking spot.
Walking the trail to the south revealed a Barred Owl, more titmice, 2
White-throated Sparrows, plus other standard birds and a calling E.
Screech Owl while I was trying to pish birds in close.  I almost
forgot, when I turned on to the main Pheasant Branch Rd, across from
the condos, there are some buckthorn bushes.  Sitting on the shoulder
as I approached, then flying into the adjacent bushes was a Catbird.
It disappeared into the thicket as I drove by.  (Thanks Mike for the
suggestions on birding these other parts of the Pheasant Branch area!)

On Cty V east of the Patton Rd junction, on the hill, I was surprised
to find a nice variety of birds that included 1 E. Bluebird, 1 Field
and Song Sparrow, etc.

A quick check of the farm near Arlington revealed 3 Eurasian Collared
Doves perched in a tree by the driveway.

On the way home, I decided to stop at Menasha to check the gulls and
ducks.  There were several thousand Herring Gulls on Little Lake
Butte des Morts (James Is. and north) and Jefferson Park (Lake
Winnebago).  This was a quick one hour check (thanks to Stuart and
Todd for telling me about the Iceland and Glaucous Gulls by James
Is).  The best gulls were on Little Lake Butte des Morts.  They
included:  1 Thayer's, 2 Iceland (imm), 1 Lesser Black-backed
(adult), 1 PROBABLE adult Slaty-backed Gull (It raised its wings
twice and also revealed its leg color, but I will try and relocate it
tomorrow as would like a longer view of it---only about 10 min.
today), 15+ Glaucous (mainly imm), and 3 Great Black-backed (2 ad, 1
1st yr).  There may have been more than what I saw but it was getting
late in the afternoon.

At Jefferson Park there were a few Glaucous Gulls, 12 Trumpeter Swans
and for ducks:  1 Ring-necked, 1 Greater and 12+ Lesser Scaup, 2 Long-
tailed (pair), 6 Ruddy and 1500+ Common Goldeneyes plus 12+ Coots.

For the day I was surprised to find I tallied about 70 species, not
bad for late January.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI