[wisb] Merlins, shrikes, etc. - Washington and Milwaukee Cos.

  • From: Tuftedtitmouse2@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 09:56:46 -0500 (EST)

Hi Gang,
Whilst doing the Milwaukee CBC last Saturday, we saw two MERLINS, at first,
 roosting a few feet apart in the tips of some trees, in the far southwest
corner  of the Havenwoods State Forest property.  We saw one of them at a
distance  of about 30 feet, where it remained perched as we strolled by.
There were  also a few dozen AMERICAN TREE SPARROWS in this area.

In the big field south of the HQ building at Havenwoods, we saw a NORTHERN
SHRIKE.  The shrubs near the feeders at the HQ had perhaps 200 DARK-EYED
JUNCOS and many other common feeder birds ripe for the pishing.

Also on the Milwaukee CBC, in a neighborhood just to the northeast of 60th
and Silver Spring (this is just south-southwest of Havenwoods), there is a
creek  that  remains open for a stretch of perhaps 100 yards.  This stretch
of creek and the fields and field edges nearby produced about 250 AMERICAN
ROBINS and a like number or starlings, many availing themselves of the
local bathing facilities.  Numerous AM. TREE SPARROWS and common feeder  birds
were also present in the shrubby areas between the houses and the  fields.
A NORTHERN FLICKER put in an appearance, as well.

Back here at home in Washington Co., yesterday, whilst the pooch and I took
 our morning postprandial constitutional, I saw a MERLIN perched at the tip
of a  snag in the tamarack swamp across the road from our house.

Last Thursday, I had a NORTHERN SHRIKE in this same swamp.
Regards,

Scott Diehl
Richfield, Washington Co (SE WI)