[wisb] Madison area lakes today

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 17:47:39 -0600

Hi all,
I took advantage of having to be in Madison today and checked out Lake Mendota.
 From Mckenna Park in Shorewood Hills, I counted 22 Common Loons out on the
lake. Also saw Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Coots and both Ring-billed and Herring
Gulls. Pied-billed Grebes were well represented as well.  Didn't see any other
Grebes, but didn't spend a lot of time looking either.

Other locations along the lake provided the same story.  University Bay had a
large number of Buffleheads mixed in with an even larger number of Coots.
Several Mallards and Lesser Scaup were also present.  6 Loons were diving out
towards the middle of the lake as well.

Frautschi Point had a flock of Chickadees with both Kinglets mixed in. I also
saw a lone fall female Tennessee Warbler. A few White-throated Sparrows gave
their presence away on the way out.

Lake Marion along County KP just outside of Mazo had 6 Cackling Geese mixed in
with at least 3 subspecies of Canadas.

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)

 EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me