[wisb] Madison: Orange-crowned Warbler and Gray-cheeked Thrush

  • From: Max Witynski <birdmax922@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 19:06:54 -0500

Hi Everyone,
On the south-west bike path in Madison between Odana and Midvale roads,
there are about 4 acres of undeveloped wood and parkland.  Today this area
was extremely productive for it's size, perhaps due to the run-off stream
that runs through it.  In the short time that I was there the wood warblers
gave a grand-finale to their migration, and a few sparrows showed up for the
first time this fall.  On and unrelated note, a very large snapping turtle
has been wandering confusedly around my neighborhood this week, and if any
of you birders know someone I could call capable of picking up this guy and
taking him to a better-suited habitat, please let me know.

Swainson's Thrush - 2
Gray-cheeked Thrush - 1
American Redstart - 4 (3 females and 1 male)
Northern Parula - 1 (first-fall female)
Chesnut-sided Warbler  - 2
Magnolia Warbler - 2
Black-and-white Warbler - 1
Nashville Warbler - 1
Orange-crowned Warbler - 1 (first-fall female)
Scarlet Tanager - 1 (first-fall male)
Mourning Dove - 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - 2
Northern Flicker - 3
Yellow-throated Vireo - 1 (probable)
Blue Jay - 3
American Crow - X
American Robin - X
American Goldfinch - X
Black-capped Chickadee - X
House Wren - 2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 1
Gray Catbird - X
Brown Thrasher - 1
Cedar Waxwing - X
Rose-breasted Grosbeak - 1
Northern Cardinal - X
Chipping Sparrow - 1
White-throated Sparrow - X
Song Sparrow - 3
House Sparrow - X
House Finch - X
Common Grackle - X

Also checked the U.W. Arboretum, which was surprisingly quiet; Gibraltar
Rock State Park was the same, except for Turkey Vultures, Yellow-bellied
Sapsuckers, and one Black-throated Green Warbler.

Max Witynski,
Madison, Dane