[wisb] Lost Creek Wetland Today

  • From: Rob Pendergast <rob121092@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 18:13:55 -0500

Dispite today being so dreary, I had an itch to bird Lost Creek Wetland. I
arrived around 4:30 P.M. to be greeted by a menagerie of Swallows. A
majority of them were Tree and Cliff, but there were a few Bank and Northern
Rough-winged mixed in. I started scanning a patch of cattialson the west
side of the wetland, and I noticed a distant Yellow-headed Blackbird. I
moved a little further down the road and noticed another male Yellow-headed
Blackbird much closer to the road, neither were singing unfortunatly. Next I
had a very good look at a Dickcissel perched on a white post on the side of
the road, (I would have the same look at it on the way out, along with 2
more in a small bush not too far from my first one). I noticed a shorebird
that was very different from the plethora of Killdeer I was herding down the
road, as it got closer I realized it was a female Wilson's Phalarope, it
flew a ways until it finally landed on the far west side of the project. I
am suspicious that they are nesting here, I did observe 2 females and 1 male
last July, and they have nested in the Buena Vista Grassland in past years.
A majority of the waterfowl present were Mallards and Blue-winged Teal, but,
there were 2 male Shovelers bobbing around a small pool of water and I
witnessed 2 Pintails arrivng at the far end of the wetland. After this, I
decided it was time to look for Moorhens. I scanned the flooded willows
unsuccessfully. I decided to watch for a while and as I walked a little
further down the road I managed to kick up a Least Bittern, this was my
first Least Bittern in Portage County, they're pretty unusual around here.
Rob Pendergast, Plover, Portage County