[wisb] Little Blue (?) and re: eagle attack

  • From: Jesse Ellis <calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 16:31:30 -0500

Paul-
I've seen a few chases where a Bald Eagle and a Great Blue get into a
soaring contest, flying in circles straight up. The eagle was clearly seeing
whether it could catch up to the heron, presumably to eat it.

Jesse Ellis

PS - I've got a second-hand report from a friend who was at Horicon
yesterday morning that she is 99% certain she saw the little blue heron. I
have yet to query her for more details. She did say she saw it on Old Marsh
Road.

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 2:56 PM, paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

>     Hey folks ---  During a break between work shifts this past Sunday. I
> biked out to Abbey Park, by Westhaven Drive, south of Witzel Av ( 4th Av).
> I had to listen twice and more to make sure I wasn't hearing things, yup,  I
> had a Field Sparrow.  Plus I had other nice standards, like chickadees,
> orioles, a least flycatcher, warbling vireo and otherwise a couple deer, a
> doe and buck, a young 8-pointer, with velvet included, which is a rare-ish
> sighting to me.     In another note, my brother sent me a very interesting
> note that my sis-in-law and some friends witnessed on their lake.  They
> actually watched an eagle attack and kill a great blue heron right in front
> of their property.  How crazy is that?  Has anyone ever heard of this kind
> of attack?     Paul Bruce, Winnebago Co.

> //www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.

Jesse Ellis
Madison, Dane Co, WI