[wisb] Late report from Saturday on V. Flycatcher/BB Hummingbird

  • From: Kelly Rueckheim <rueckel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 14:14:00 +0000

I went for the Vermillion Flycatcher on Saturday (my 2nd try) and arrived
around 10 AM.  One other person (Brad) was there looking as well.  At around
11ish, Brad spotted the bird in the 2nd (far back) clump of trees on the west
side of the lake.  Several of us were able to get good looks at the bird as it
worked its way closer and closer t by working up the thin row of tall weeds
along the west sid of the lake. It eventually worked its way to within 50-75
feet of us.   We all had great looks.  People were coming and going as we were
enjoying great looks at this great bird.  It then flew back to the closer of
the two clumps of trees on the west side of the pond.  It then gave us a repeat
performance, slowly working its way up the weeds.  I stayed around long enough
to see this happen for a third time.  At least on Saturday it seemed to have a
bit of a routine.   Congrats to Quentin Y. on finding this great bird.

I then went over to Mequon to look for the Broad Billed Hummingbird and saw it
within 15 minutes.   Thanks to Tina for sharing it with us.

Kelly Rueckheim - Hillsboro, Vernon County####################