[wisb] Re: Late Fall Ducks

  • From: Tim Hahn <thahnbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 16:38:00 -0600

My experiences in Waukesha County today were similar to Steve's in Dane.
BUFFLEHEAD on almost every lake I visited including Pewaukee, Nagawicka,
and Beaver. HOODED MERGS were in quite a few places too. I also had RUDDY
DUCK and CANVASBACK on Pewaukee Lake, GREEN-WINGED TEAL on Merton Millpond,
and HORNED GREBES on Nagawicka. A handful of COMMON LOONS were on each
Nagawicka and Pewaukee. Additionally BONAPARTE'S GULLS were hanging out
with grebes and loons on Nagawicka, seemingly harassing them when they came
up with food. I've noticed this behavior before, but I didn't know them as
a "parasitic" species.
Cheers!

Tim Hahn
Pewaukee, WI
Waukesha County
WBBA II Coordinator
Ben Goss Bird Club

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 2:09 PM, Steve Thiessen <stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Finally,after a few weeks of empty lakes(except coots and P-b Grebes) I
noticed some ducks on Lake Kegonsa, Dane co. I only had 10 minutes to looks
earlier, but I could see Horned Grebes, Common Loons, Goldeneye,
Bufflehead, scaup, Canvasbacks and a couple strings to far to tell.
Hoping we get some Dane County scoters and Long-tailed Ducks. Steve
Thiessen Stoughton Dane co.