[wisb] Re: Lake Park report for 5-16, Milw. Co., 20 warblers

  • From: korducki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Tuftedtitmouse2@xxxxxxx, wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 20:38:33 +0000

The RH Woodpecker was near the Locust Ravine feeder area where they nested in
past years. This was last Tuesday but they have missed by others since so maybe
it was just a migrant.
Mark Korducki, New Berlin

From: Tuftedtitmouse2@xxxxxxx
Sender: wisbirdn-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 16:20:16
To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Lake Park report for 5-16, Milw. Co., 20 warblers

Hi All,
I birded Lake Park in Milwaukee for a couple of hours late morning  today.

As others have been reporting of late, warblers were pretty much foraging
within about 10 feet of the ground everywhere I went today.  I think today
was the first time I've ever seen a BLACKPOLL WARBLER from above (seen from
a  bridge).  I had about 20 warbler species.  Many individuals were  feeding
on the ground.  Most birds were clinging to the protected sides of  the
ravines or the grassy areas adjacent to the ravines.  A pleasant  surprise was
a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH near the service building east of the  Wolcott (sp?)
statue.  A couple of RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS were still  lingering.  NO
tanagers; NO brown thrushes; NO vireos.

I couldn't find the RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS in the park.  Where are  they
hanging out this year?

Tally Ho!

-Scott Diehl
Richfield, Washington Co.