[wisb] Iowa & Grant Counties - Golden Eagles

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 21:37:45 -0600

I tagged along with Steve Thiessen, Chuck Heikkinen and Jim Schwarz on a Golden
Eagle expedition west of Madison today.  Our first stop was at the end of Blynn
Rd. off Hwy 14, just into Iowa Co. west of Mazomanie.  At the house at the
north end, we had multiple Tufted Titmice and other feeder birds.  Five or six
Common Grackles flew up from the creek at the bottom of the hill in the
Wildlife Area north of the house.  At the house south of the woodlot (by the
curve on Blynn,) there was a large flock of Juncos that included a classic
"Oregon" male (full, black hood contrasting with a brown back and tan sides.)

The Arena Boat Landing had dozens of Am. Robins along the creek.  At the river,
we saw several Bald Eagles flying on the Sauk Co. side, plus one bird that was
a probable Golden Eagle, but it was pretty distant, even with scopes.  We
cruised mostly county roads west from there, seeing decent numbers of Bald
Eagles, Red-tails, Rough-legs (oddly, split nearly 50/50 between light and dark
morphs,) at least four Am. Kestrels, and two adult Golden Eagles that we were
sure about (excellent and fairly close looks at both - all-dark, tawny heads,
lighter bases to the tails.)  One was south of Boscobel on County K, as I
recall, and the other on our oddly-reliable-for-Golden spot, Sand Branch Rd.,
off County G southwest of Muscoda. We also had a few E. Bluebirds on the way
back east in Iowa County (on Boot Hollow Rd., off Hwy 80, I believe.)  Our only
Pileated Woodpecker of the day was on that road, too.

A very nice day with good birding buddies - always nice to get the bird(s) you
were looking to find...

Peter Fissel
Madison, WI