[wisb] Inca Dove - yes this p.m.

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 20:31:34 -0600

Several birders from the Madison Audubon trip who had split off from the main
group had excellent looks at the Concordia Univ. Inca Dove early this
afternoon.  We had been looking for a while, when Max "Eagle Eyes" Witynski
spotted it as he walked through the taller grass east of the Environmental
Education Center.  The bird flew up and landed on one of the large flat rocks
forming an irregular wall along the bluffside path, where it fed on some of the
seed spread there.  It later flew into the line of cedars to the north of the
Center, where a few other birders had a good look at it as it perched on a
branch.

Some of us also later tried for the Vermillion Flycatcher, but we missed it in
the late afternoon (and I put a nice dent in my fender when a wooden signpost
jumped into my path as I backed out of the access at Muskrat Lake.  Kind of a
sour ending to what had been a good day birding...)

Peter Fissel
Madison WI