[wisb] Inca Dove + Horicon

  • From: Ari <birdhaxxor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 21:28:28 -0500 (EST)

Stuart Malcolm and I went to see the Inca Dove this afternoon and quickly made
a stop at the Horicon Marsh pumphouse on our way back.

The dove was seen in full view after 10 minutes of searching. It foraged on
several flat rocks near the feeders for a few minutes before flying off into
one of the nearby cedar trees. There were also some ducks on the lake here, but
they were too far out to ID.

After this success, we made to Horicon just in time to watch the sun go down
and sky grow dark. Here at the pumphouse station, there were thousands of
canada geese, 40 TUNDRA SWANS, 20 CACKLING GEESE, 300 Cranes, an assortment of
dabbling ducks, and 60 or so shorebirds that were too far out to ID. No sign of
any Ibis-- although it was getting dark and such a bird could have easily
slipped by unnoticed.

Also, in between the locations, we caught a glimpse of several SNOW BUNTINGs
flying through a field next to the highway.

-Ari Rice
Appleton