[wisb] Horicon update (Dodge Co.) from today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 21:34:22 -0500

I stopped at Horicon on my way home from visiting my mom in Oshkosh late this
afternoon.  On Hwy 49, there was a very distant MARBLED GODWIT way at the back
of the west channel in the impoundment west of the pumphouse.  Also had at
least four BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS and a VIRGINIA RAIL there.  In the next
impoundment west, there was a large flock of DUNLIN, peeps, and phalaropes WAY
out on a mudbar.  I could just barely make out the Dunlin at 50-60X, and the
peeps were a lost cause.  Of the Phalaropes, I'm reasonably certain most (if
not all) were Wilson's, although there were a couple that looked smaller and
were doing a lot of spinning. There was also one BLACK-NECKED STILT in with all
the shorebirds.  On the closer mud "peninsula" on the east end of that
impoundment, there were quite a few ducks resting, including several AMERICAN
WIDGEON.

On Dike Rd., there were more BB Plovers, COMMON MOORHENS, BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS,
and SEMI-PALMATED SANDPIPERS & PLOVERS.  Didn't find any phalaropes there.  At
one point, I had four Stilts in the same scope view, plus another nearby.  Two
WHITE-FACED & one GLOSSY IBIS were also very close to the road, although
farther west than I've seen them (west of the lone tree.) There was a group of
five GREAT EGRETS, two of which were behaving aggressively toward each other
(raised crests and beak riposting.)  Also had a couple of BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT
HERONS and several GB HERONS cruising around.  The clouds were clearing out and
the wind died down, so the light was just fantastic.  My camera, of course, was
home on the dining room table...

Peter Fissel
Madison, WI