[wisb] Horicon Owls & Blackbirds Tonight, Dodge County

  • From: Andrea Szymczak <harrierhawk1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 16:57:37 -0600

Tom & I arrived at the marsh after 2:30 pm and drove Dike Road.  While both
Snowy Owls had been seen in the morning, we only saw the immature bird
perched on a muskrat mound located on the north side of the road west of
the dam.  Just at the limit of visibility at dusk Tom spotted a single
Short-eared Owl just south of the western terminus of the road.  I was able
to get the scope on the bird and follow it for 1-2 minutes.
Blackbird flocks were numerous and included Red-winged, Rusty, and Common
Grackles.  At one point, a line of blackbirds streamed across the horizon
covering 80-100 degrees!
Other birds of note included two Bald Eagles, one dark-morph Rough-legged
Hawk, five N Harriers, and a mix of the common dabbling ducks, including
two drake Green-winged Teal.
Andrea Szymczak
Waukesha, WI