[wisb] Re: Horicon Marsh today, Dodge County/Fond du Lac County

  • From: Betsyacorn@xxxxxxx
  • To: tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx, Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 22:09:15 -0400 (EDT)

As with Tom Wood, I had my first Tree Sparrow  this morning (in the yard).
And Winter Wrens again responding to my coughs  as I walked the dogs.
(easy!)
Betsy Abert, So. Milw. SE Milw.  Co.

In a message dated 10/25/2011 8:52:25 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I was away for 10 days, birding central  California, so after completing my
morning obligations today, I decided to  head for Horicon to see what has
changed in the past two weeks. I spent  several hours there this afternoon
and noted that White Pelican and Great  Egret numbers have crashed. I saw
only one White
Pelican and a handful of  Great Egrets. However, Sandhill Crane and Canada
Goose numbers have  increased. Swallows and terns were not to be found.
The shorebirds were still  plentiful east of the pumphouse on the south side
of STH49. The sun glare was  not a factor, but the cloud cover caused poor
lighting so I did not attempt  to make counts of most species. I find it
difficult to separate Dunlin and  Stilt Sandpipers without seeing leg color,
supercilium,
and scapular  edging, so only those individuals close to the road were
identified.  Likewise, Baird's and White-rumped Sandpipers can be
problematic, so  only
the two close White-rumped Sandpipers were counted. Dowitchers can  be
identified by silhouette, but only by experts as to Short or  Long-billed.
Presumably, most if not all dowitchers this time of year are  Long-billed,
but they were too far off to hear any calls. There were 170-200  of them.
Other
shorebirds seen were many Dunlin, a few Stilt Sandpipers,  Pectoral
Sandpipers, Semi-palmated Sandpipers,  Least Sandpipers, 1  Sanderling, 1
Lesser Yellowlegs (surprised to see no Greater Yellowlegs  today), 10-12
Black-bellied Plovers, 1 A. Golden-Plover (Main Dike Road-none  from STH49),
and a few
Killdeer.
What was that sparrow along the auto  tour road? A portent of things to
come.
My personal first of season Tree  Sparrow!

Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha  County

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use  the Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn
Visit  Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn