[wisb] Horicon Marsh Bird Festival part 2

  • From: Larry Michael <lamichael@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn: freelists.org" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 10:10:17 -0700

Wisbirders,

Wow! That is all we can say. What a record breaking Bird Festival. The Festival
record of 161 bird species being found during “events only” has stood since
2004. That Record Is No More!! During the 2009 Festival, Field Trip Leaders and
Participating Birders found 167 bird species and in turn have set the bar a bit
higher for future Bird Festivals.

Please take a look at our complete list of birds that have been found during
the last 12 Festival. It can be found in the Festival drop down menu under
Festival Bird List. It will give you some idea of how attractive Horicon Marsh
is to the birds and how great our Festival Leaders have been over this time
span.  The total of 227 bird species for our 12 Bird Festival is an impressive
number considering that we “only allow birds that are seen during Festival
events.

Every year we get reports from birders who have struck out on their own in
search of birds.  They report their findings in hopes that these birds can be
added to the Festival yearly list.  But to make each year’s bird list constant
with previous years we have to maintain the “events only” rule.  This is not to
say that you should stop reporting these birds, as we would be fools not to use
this information on our hikes/tours to these sighting locations.

Also on this drop down menu is the complete list of “Festival Big Sit Birds”.
Our 2009 total of 81 was just a few birds shy of the record of 83.  We have
found a total of    over the past     Festival Big Sits.  Not bad for a 17 ft.
circle.

www.horiconmarshbirdfestival.com

The 2009 Bird Festival Committee wishes to challenge future Horicon Marsh Bird
Festivals with the task of breaking this 167 mark. We have been saying for
years to our birding friends, The Birds Will Be There, THE QUESTION IS WILL
YOU?

Horicon Marsh Bird Festival Committee
Horicon Marsh

Up next a post on our 2010 Festival and Website

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.