[wisb] Horicon Marsh - 10/15 Afternoon - RED KNOT

  • From: Chris Petherick <cpetherick@xxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 18:18:41 -0500

I also had a chance to get up to Horicon Marsh today in the early afternoon.
As Jym mentioned, it was quite windy, but temps were a bit more palatable in
the afternoon sun.  My main purpose wasn't birding, so I didn't spend as
much time as I would have liked IDing birds along 49 (not everyone in the
car had the patience for it!!), but I did find some good stuff, including
some of the things that Jym had looked for.  I also walked the entire Bud
Cooke trail (basically empty of birds except a couple sparrows and a
harrier) and the auto loop.  I walked the Redhead trail behind the lake and
found quite a few interesting birds back there including Trumpeter Swans and
a Blue Headed Vireo.  Here's the list:

Drive near Bud Cooke:

Red Tailed Hawk

Turkey Vultures

Kestrel

N. Harrier

Sandhill Cranes

Pigeons

Hwy 49:

Canada Geese

Ring Billed Gulls

Great Egret

Pied Bill Grebe

Mallards

Least Sandpipers

Coots

Redhead

American White Pelicans

Gadwall

Green Winged Teal

Northern Shoveler

Long Billed Dowitcher

Stilt Sandpiper

Lesser Yellowlegs

Pintail

White Rumped Sandpiper

Black Bellied Plover (Life Bird)

RED KNOT - with the Dowitchers, north of 49 and just west of the Historic
Marker

Am. Widgeon

Auto Loop Redhead Trail:

Blue-Headed Vireo